Monday, June 6, 2011

Reflections on Spring Lighting

There are two times of the year when I think I am truly amazed by light – both natural and artificial light.  Right now, I’m in love with the natural light of the spring equinox that casts a bit brighter of a hue, both white and yellow, and shines at an angle that seemingly makes everything look better, or more important, or just pretty.

 


The change always seems to sneak up on me when I least expect it, although springing the clock forward every year (as annoying as it is to lose an hour) normally fills me with an expectation of change.  It is usually some weeks after the time change I notice that the light is different.  It’s not so much that it is still daylight at 5:30 or 6:00 pm – it’s more about how the light comes in a window – that interesting angle that illuminates the dust on the dark counter or the sheen in The cat’s beige coat of hair and noticing the prominence of black, white and gray in all that beige.  


I noticed it today and I can remember that sometime this week there was a faint thought about the light but I quickly didn’t pay attention to the thought. I love that it came back and I actually paused for a moment to reflect…and then realized that I really did need to dust the counter!  Damn you, Spring!!!

Looking forward to the changing light in the Fall…


                                                                            

Speaking of lighting...
Caron's reflections on the changing light got us thinking about the importance of lighting in architecture, interior design and the related sustainability issues.  NEMA has developed a helpful guide, called The 5 L's of Lighting, to help consumers choose the appropriate type of energy-efficient lighting.  It is also a helpful resource to begin understanding the difference between the various types of lamps being used.


You can download a one-page PDF of the guide as a quick and handy reference tool...HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment